The Tennis Officials Meeting Hall
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Filling out Card
Vision Science Research EmptyMon May 09, 2016 9:11 pm by Jerry-tennis

» USTA Officiating moving to Orlando
Vision Science Research EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 12:09 pm by seniorgeek

» Call for officials
Vision Science Research EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 11:39 am by seniorgeek

» USTA Officiating Online education launch
Vision Science Research EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 11:32 am by seniorgeek

» Vision Science Research
Vision Science Research EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 4:46 pm by cunningham3c

» Would you do chairs for this?
Vision Science Research EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 9:04 pm by thompa

» 2016 rules book has arrived
Vision Science Research EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 9:00 pm by thompa

» ITA Singles Match
Vision Science Research EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 11:49 am by Burt

» Who Calls A Double Bounce
Vision Science Research EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 12:36 pm by seniorgeek

Vision Science Research

Go down

Vision Science Research Empty Vision Science Research

Post by cunningham3c Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi everyone,

One of the most challenging aspects of roving officiating is managing disputes over line calls. I have been examining this element of officiating in Chicago District sanctioned junior tournament play for a number of years as part of graduate research relating to youth self-regulation. Part of my investigation into conflict arising as a result of questioned line calls (and official’s overrules) has been that of examining tennis line calls against the backdrop of vision science. The aim was to discover evidence that might counter the frequent allegations of cheating when perceived incorrect line calls occur and show how involuntary “visual error” might be a factor.   

The attached report reflects three studies that may shed light on what actually occurs when line calls are made during the course of play. By sharing this information in this forum I hope to provide some useful insight regarding visual accuracy and maybe hear from others in the officiating community who may have come across similar studies.

With self-governance being the province of USTA sanctioned junior tournament play such information regarding vision might lead to improved player self-regulation during tournaments where roving officials are sparse or non-existent. This is the basis of on-going research I am currently engaged in regarding sanctioned junior tournament tennis and prosocial development.

Chuck Cunningham
Attachments
Vision Science Research Attachment
junior tennis research data Officiating forum.docx You don't have permission to download attachments.(65 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

cunningham3c

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum